One of the most common questions potential web design clients ask me is “how long will it take before my website is online?”
The answer to this question will vary a great deal depending on a few key things, but the average timeline is 30 – 90 days (1 – 3 Months).
Why such a big timeline gap?
Well, everyone’s situation is unique. If it’s a really simple 5 page website you’re after, then you can expect your project to be completed failry quickly…usually 30 days or less.
If you’re company is in need for something a bit more complex such as an online store, online ordering system, forms, video, presentations and the like, then you can expect the process to respectively take a bit longer…usually 30 – 90 days.
The time it takes for you to respond to our design mock ups also plays a big role in the amount of time it takes for the project to be completed. The quicker you can respond and tell us what you do or don’t like about what we’ve designed, the quicker we can get back to work on your project.
We sat down and looked at all of the websites we’ve worked on over the past few years and here are some common website traits that might help you get a better idea on how long before you can expect your website to be online:
Websites completed in 30 days or less usually:
- Have 5 pages or less
- Represent a local small business
- Don’t have video
- Require less design consultations as the client has a good idea of what they want
- Don’t have a lot of online competition and don’t require a powerful online marketing plan
Websites completed in 30-90 days or more usually:
- Have over 10 pages
- Represent a medium sized business or online store
- May have several videos throughout the website
- Require more frequent design consultations because the project will need to be split up into “phases”
- Require a powerful online marketing plan to out rank competitors
The above are only estimates and every project is different, however. It is very important to us to get your project completed on time so that you can get the exposure you’ve been wanting from having your business online. However, it’s also very important the website creation process is not rushed. Rome wasn’t built in a day and it’s the same with your website!